On Friday, July 27, sweet-toothed Philadelphians can get their fill of all things baked and good by picking up a Bakers Box filled to the brim with pastries made by local Philly bakers from the Asian-American and Pacific Islander community. The project is supported by With Warm Welcome, an organization that amplifies AAPI voices in the restaurant industry.
Each $100 box contains 18 desserts from 18 local AAPI bakers, like Grace Chun of Port Goods, Lola Nora of Bread of Life, Jeanne Chang of Lil Pop Shop, and Nhi Lam of Fitz and Starts. Ten percent of the total proceeds will be donated to Asian Americans United, a organization that builds community around people of Asian ancestry in Philadelphia, and preorders can be placed online. Pickups are all day on July 27 at Fork, co-owned by Philly restaurateur Ellen Yin.
- Bastille Day is tomorrow, which means Philly’s famous French establishments are offering an array of specials for diners looking to celebrate a little joie de vivre. Royal Boucherie, Fond, and Forsythia will all feature Bastille Day are all offering Bastille Day specials, like happy hour oysters, deals on foie gras, and wine and cheese pairings. (Call the restaurants for more info.) The Hagley Museum and Library in Wilmington, Delaware, will host an al fresco dinner in partnership with Tyler Akin’s Le Cavalier, with a prix fixe menu that will feature dishes like steak brochette and berry clafoutis. Reservations for that trés Français event can be made online.
- Speaking of France, Philly’s fine dining establishment Jean-Georges on the 59th floor of the Four Seasons in Logan Square has named a new chef de cuisine, Cornelia Suhr, who previously worked at Alain Ducasse in London and the St. Regis in Dubai. The restaurant hasn’t yet reopened, but is slated to reopen with Suhr at the helm this fall.
- Top Chef contestant Natalie Maronski recently launched Underground Concepts at the Divine Lorraine hotel in Spring Garden, where she and DJ DEL are curating food and live music at four different venues within the space. On Wednesday, July 21, Maronski will host Snacktime Philly — everyone’s favorite brass brand — for an event at Broad Hall in the hotel, with Moranski’s menu and drinks by Brian Kane. Tickets can be purchased in advance.
- 18 Bakeries for the Most Delicious Pastries, Cakes, and Baked Goods in Philly [EP]
- Fork Owner Ellen Yin Wants to Make Philly a Better Place to Be a Woman Restaurateur [EP]
#Bakers #Box #Philly #Sampling #Pastries #AAPI #Bakers